[OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour

Subject: [OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:47:48 -0500
 >Thanks.  That doesn't sound particularly inviting.  I guess thing change
>in 50+ years.

ya think?

Actually, the Illinois segment is still pretty well identified and
maintained. There are places where Route 66 is still celebrated.  Not to be
left out, here in Iowa, we celebrate the "Lincoln Highway".  I believe Tama
has the sole surviving "Lincoln Highway Bridge" still in use.  Pretty cool,
really.  The railings spell out "Lincoln Highway". It is just to the west of
"King Tower", which was a full-service travel stop in Tama built in the late
thirties and has been relatively unchanged since then. (decent pork
tenderloin too).  A definite photo-op in its rundown, but still used state.

Between Kansas City and St. Louis, my choice is simple:  Kansas City.  Two
reasons:  BBQ and Architecture.  Kansas City is the NYC of the midwest.  St.
Louis has way too many "river town" characteristics to it.  Kansas City and
St. Louis are about the same as the USA and the UK.  The only problem with
KC is that my recommended BBQ joint in town is not the best place to send a
white out-of-towner.  Ok, ok, LC's on 5800 Blue Parkway, Raytown.  Lock your
door and keep the cameras hidden in the trunk. For the vegitarians, they do
have awesome fries.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2640

Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx