[OM] Re: [OT] Any Exposure Meter Recommend?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Any Exposure Meter Recommend?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:09:29 -0400
The Sekonic L-308 may meet all of your requirements but I prefer the
Sekonic L-358 primarily because it also measures flash to ambient ratio
which the L-308 does not.  When doing fill flash just adjust the flash
power or aperture until the meter reads 20-30% of the total exposure.
It makes manually controlled fill flash a piece of cake.  It also has
provision for an optional PocketWizard transmitter module.  Mine has the
transmitter module but I don't own any PocketWizards.

Of course, if you don't shoot flash and do primarily landscapes you'd
probably rather have a spot meter.  But these days I think there is a
better alternative.  A used digital camera with a zoom lens that also
offers histograms is probably a better spot meter or landscape meter
than that Sekonic L-758D.  You can buy a used Minolta A1 on ebay for
about $100.  The A1 has a zoom range of 28-200mm equivalent.  It also
has a spot meter which can measure a circle whose diameter is about 13%
of the frame width.  At 200mm equivalent that's just about 1.2 degrees.
The spot meter can measure at the center or any part of the image by
moving the focus point.  But to me, an even more extraordinary feature
is a live histogram.  Just point the camera, zoom for framing and read
the live histogram right off the screen without taking a shot.

Of course, the A1 is a lot bigger than an incident light meter but the
A1 is also a great little macro camera with an articulating screen for
those low level shots.  It's a very handy tool to have around and takes
great 5MP photos at ISO 100.  These are some A1 images
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/fall%20color/index.htm>

DPReview coverage is here:
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/>

Owner's manual can be found here:
<http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/manuals/digital_cameras/dimage-a/index.html>

Owner's manuals for Sekonic products can be found here by following the
links for specific meters:
<http://www.sekonic.com/products/>

Chuck Norcutt