[OM] Re: What kind of glue for plexiglass?

Subject: [OM] Re: What kind of glue for plexiglass?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:12:47 +1000
The correct glue for plexiglass is a rather nasty solvent (various
names) which is a thin clear fluid that melts the faces and allows a
very strong weld style joint. However it is not a good gap filler so
a decent caulking compound shoud do the job - a slow cure wet area
silicone is good so long as the area is cleaned, absolutely dry and
keyed with a solvent first. Not sure what would etch plexiglass - I'd
try methylated spirits (denatured alcohol), mineral turpentine (oil
paint thinner) and acetone as possibles. If you don't etch, black
mould can creep under the sealant.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx