[OM] Re: wife (was number of cameras)

Subject: [OM] Re: wife (was number of cameras)
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:15:54 -0400
That's great! Actually fine art grads aren't worthless everywhere, but we
sure are in Indiana. What I should have done is moved to Santa Fe, Austin,
LA, NY, Chicago, or some other artsy place the split second I graduated from
college back in 1999. I stayed here because of my son, who was 2 yrs old
when I graduated. I thought I'd find a job but the months stretched into
years and in early 2006 I realized that I had been unemployed for almost 7
years and had applied for more than 700 jobs! Jesus! I had met a girl online
who lived in Santa Fe who wanted me to come out there and be with her
(that's gotta be a weird concept to the older guys here...but to my
generation it isn't).

I was desperate then because I had nowhere to live, and my family didn't
want anything to do with me because I was an embarassment to them. My family
changed a lot, my parents, they were good people when I was young but as
they got older they became very materialistic and more interested in
appearances and 'things' rather than people and family. I was a failure
despite being in numerous art exhibits, being published several times (check
out the november, 2003 issue of Popular Photography), because I had no
money. So, I went to Santa Fe.

I came back to Indiana because the girl in Santa Fe had extremely low
self-esteem and thought I was too nice to her because she's a big girl and
thus deserves to be beaten on and told she's ugly (she wasn't ugly, I
thought she was pretty & had a hot body. I guess I'm strange). I'd have
stayed in Santa Fe but the cost of living was too high and I missed my son,
who I didn't get to see enough because of the distance and the cost of
travel.

Like I said earlier, if I had moved away from Indiana immediately after
college, I'd have made good money and gotten a job. My parents say I was a
fool to stay for my kid and end up poor. I don't know, my son seemed to
disagree. He was upset about me being in New Mexico and overjoyed when I
came back. My plan now is to stay here till he goes off to college (he is 11
yrs old now) them move somewhere where I can make good money. I started to
make good money in Santa Fe and may end up going back.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design