[OM] Re: A recent thread.

Subject: [OM] Re: A recent thread.
From: Gordon Ross <gordross@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 08:12:42 -0600
Hi Chris:

Thank you for making this strait forward statement of  facts.  As a
Canadian I don't have to have these concerns and although our system
is not perfect it is fair, equitable and equally accessed by all our
residents.  We can thank a prairie politician by the name of Tommy
Douglas who put people first and valued health above all. Why the US
with all its greatness continues to fail in social reform is part of
the negative mystery that other people on the planet look at and can
only wonder why. It is not ours to criticize but I think to offer
example and the hope that it doesn't have to be that way.

I volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and have been building houses
with some of my co-workers in Las Varas Mexico.  Last Sept. we were
doing 3 houses, we broke into three groups of six and each group did a
house.  Our house needed a septic tank dug 7' X 7' X 7'  by hand with
so so shovels.  I managed to get an ear infection. Never one to take
small measures -both ears and within a day they were totally swollen
shut all I could really hear was my pulse. Las Varas is about halfway
between Puerto Vallarta and the inland town of Tepic,  our local
transpo guys figured Tepic was closer so I headed there.  I have both
corporate and Cdn health care coverage and also  had the Habitat
coverage but you need to dial 30 numbers to access it. Frankly, I can
pay and so that isn't a concern but I was headed into the Mexican
system and had no idea as to how it worked. We got to the hospital
which was busy and moderatly sized. We found the specialty wing and
went to the desk of the Otologist and were told that they could see me
right away but as a foreigner I would first have to go back to the
Hospital Administration office and pay cash. I was not going to use
the 30 digit number and frankly have no problem in paying for my
health so we lined up and got to the wicket window where the cost was
explained.  It was about $5.00 CDN.  The medications that I purchased
at the Pharmacia were a total of $14.00 CDN.  My problem had been
resolved and quite expediciously and inexpensively,    my gratitude to
Mexico.  I can only wonder what treatment I would have gotten and what
the cost would be had I been in the US.

Gord