[OM] Re: List is sllllooowww..

Subject: [OM] Re: List is sllllooowww..
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:39:08 +1000
Ali Shah wrote:
> The list is ssssloooowww. Seems to be having issues
> almost regularly/daily.
>
> I wonder if a "NING" group would be a better solution
> for the OM list. A NING group can be completely
> private, you can schedule events, display
> photos/videos, have discussions, private message, etc.
> It is a mix of MySpace, Flickr, Facebook, etc rolled
> into one. You can take a look @ www.ning.com

Ali, I respect you're opinion, but you've just basically said to me that
NING is like vomit, toe jam and arse all rolled into one sandwich.

I don't really need to schedule "events", there's plenty of choices for
displaying of photos/videos with a link to them (a quite few of us like
to use our own websites and presentation), discussion threads are
followed quite as easily here, private message is built in (just change
the email address when you hit "Reply"), and I can't for the life of me
think of an et cetera that I want. Administration becomes a
significantly larger job on such sites too, and while there may be
volunteers, it inevitably becomes far larger than the effective
self-administration and self-control that occurs here in one, simple
channel.

It's not curmedgeonliness or fogeyness, any more than thinking that
email conversation does NOT require the ability to send in html with
24pt flowery pink fonts, 40% jpg emoticons and 20% animated gifs. In my
opinion, the list works perfectly for what it is (technical problems
aside) and there are some good places (like the superb Zone 10) that
allow for stretching the legs outside of that "conversation" if so required.

I, personally, have had no problems of "sllllooowww"ness, and frankly
think that immediacy is being overrated (especially when more immediate
channels (IRC, etc.) are available elsewhere if you like that kind of
instant conversation). I can only see "sllllooowww" being a problem
(list problems aside) if you've inbuilt, arbitrary deadlines for
response; however, not having such deadlines does wonders for
impatience-given anxiety.

"Slow down, you move too fast".

Cheers,
Marc ("feelin' groovy")