[OM] Re: OT drive scrubber

Subject: [OM] Re: OT drive scrubber
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 13:50:53 -0400
John,

I can recommend the following free tools for your needs.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

DBAN is my preferred tool for blanking HDD's prior to disposal. Use with
*extreme* care as once its started your data is gone. It is a boot from CD
using a built in Linux base. DBAN can only blank whole drives but is fast.

http://www.heidi.ie/node/6

Heidi's eraser uses DBAN under the skin but is a windows installed utility
program. It can blank any drive attached to a system as well as create a
"secure" trash bin, one time secure delete with a right click or be applied
to clear the "empty" space on a drive.

I personally use both where appropriate.

Dan S.