[OM] Re: Another first place ribbon

Subject: [OM] Re: Another first place ribbon
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 21:16:25 -0700
I don't know whether it applies to this particular Mr. Raspberry, but
we do have a lot of unusual last names adopted by freed slaves who did
not want to take the names of their former masters. My favorite was a
charming young woman who gave up Miss Birdsong for a much more boring
married name.

We have the so called Argentine ants here too. Almost all of the
native ants I saw as a boy are gone, displaced by the Argentines. I
was surprised to see a few large ants at the rural dark sky site of
our astronomy club recently. I realized it had been several years
since I had seen any. I don't know whether the little ones are able to
defeat the larger ones in battle or whether they just compete better
in the environment.  Someone told me that they have multiple queens
which makes a colony eternal.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA