[OM] Re: [OT] Interior design

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Interior design
From: Robert Burnette <r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 01:15:39 -0400
Jez:

Don't know how your ceiling joists run, but the wall between the kitchen and
dining room looks as though it could be a "bearing wall," or a wall supporting
the weight of the upstairs floor joists in that end of the house. If so, you
will need to support those joists with a large overhead beam if you remove the
wall. Without a photo of the exterior of the house, it is difficult to imagine
the possible construction. For example, is the entire house two-storied, or is
that a one-story section?

I notice that there is a beam support between the fireplace area and the lounge
and hall areas. That would indicate that, in that part of the house, the second
floor joists run at right angles to the beam (across it). If they run in the
same direction over the kitchen and dining areas, you should be all right
removing the kitchen/dining room wall. That would indicate that the wall
between the kitchen/dining area and the hall/lounge area is the bearing wall.
But, if those joists run in the opposite direction (parallel to the existing
beam), the kitchen/dining room wall is a bearing wall and you will need another
beam.

Robert