[OM] Re: [OT] Interior design

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Interior design
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 08:25:43 +1000
Right - you have two linked spaces and it seems obvious that you have
a winter 'living; area in front of the fireplace, a summer living
area in front of the French windows (move the furniture as required)
and a dining area in the 'toe' (blue sofa area)which was a separate
room at some stage by the look of that beam. The only problem is that
the entrance to the room is in a terrible position opposite the
fireplace. And the plan shows a doorway directly from the kitchen to
the lounge which doesn't seem to be there in the photos.
Two sofas facing each other at right angles to the fireplace (one
each side). Or as an L with one forming a barrier to the french
window section in winter and the other to the entry door. Never back
them up to walls - bad 'feel'. Move them around on a whim for the
seasons. The sofas are a terrible match for the chairs - something
has to go. Get some traditional style sofas/couches. Perhaps match a
single seater, two seater and three seater and move them. Tapestry,
high back. Those table lamps should vanish with the sofas. And that
ceiling light fitting in the toe section (overlooking the pool). Out
of character the lot of them.
Remember - parquet and rugs means that things can be moved around as
you feel like it. Use alcoves rather than parking 'nice pieces' in them.
Dining area in the toe - put that door through into the kitchen if
it's been blocked off - what IS that ceiling? - wow! If it's brick
vault, I'd strip it. Darker but you've got lots of light.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx