[OM] Re: OT Eyeglasses

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Eyeglasses
From: Michael Collins <l43g20th@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:35:45 -0400
Doug,

I'm a decade older than you and have been wearing glasses since age 10
(myopia [no comments please...] and astigmatism). Counter to the experience
and opinions of many on this list, progressives worked for me right from the
start, I had virtually no adjustment period, and I enjoy the flexibility of
good focus at most any distance. I'll disregard some of the comments from my
countrymen :-) .

I chose my current optometrist thirty years ago by what he assures me is the
*worst* possible method - nearest one in the Yellow Pages directory. His
main merits - personable so he has good connection with both his clients and
the lab he uses; technically knowledgeable and curious [well read on
physiology of the eye, ham radio operator, early adopter of electronic
billing]; and conscientious and willing to just "make it right" if there's
an issue. The downside is that his prices are relatively high, but health
plans generally cover a significant amount of the cost in this nanny state,
and even without them personally I'd be willing to pay a premium for good
service to maximise the quality of my vision. Especially as PVD and retinal
tears and retinal detachment have eroded it somewhat in the past two years.

[I have opted to stay away from any "cosmetic" eye surgery as I want the
maximum amount of raw material left when I truly need surgery in later
years. And I've avoided contact lenses as I have a minor aversion to
sticking things in my eyes and really have no major issue with wearing
glasses.]

Michael