[OM] Re: OT Eyeglasses

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Eyeglasses
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:09:00 -0700
Doug,

A few more tips:

When I had to go to bifocals, I asked my optometrist about bifocals vs
progressives, his response was that I would have a lot of adjusting to
do with either, but it would probably be best to start with the bifocals
as they are easier to adapt to. Once I got used to those I could give
progressives a shot. FWIW, I am still using the bifocals two years later
- and have no desire to do progressives after playing with a pair in his
office.

I am not as sensitive to distortion as you are, but it is an issue for
me as well. I think that you will find you will be hard pressed to get
used to the progressives. For me, the (for lack of a better phrase)
transition zones are to akin to distortion.

If you are like me, you will unfortunately probably wind up with more
than one pair of glasses. I use the bifocals 90% of the time, but for
some things still use single vision lenses. I have never adapted to
cycling with the bifocals, and anything where I need to see my feet
(rock climbing, ect) they are totally out of the question. I often times
head out for a weekend with a quiver of glasses! :) :(

One thing when shopping for an optometrist, ask what their guarantee is,
most of the better ones will work with you until things are right.
Willingness to do so shows me a level of confidence in their ability to
get things right for you.

Jim Couch