[OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and res

Subject: [OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and resolution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:15:19 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> ....  Too many times finishing one of his articles I ended up with the
> conclusion of Gertrude Stein on seeing Oakland, California for the first
> time. "There is no there there."

Staying for the moment out of the "Rockwell Debates", I must comment on
your really incorrect use of Gertrude Stein's words.

She grew up in Oakland from age four to about 18. After spending much of
her life on the East Coast and, largely, in France, She much later
visited the SF area and went to visit the location of the family home of
her youth, only to discover that it no longer existed; upon which
discovery she said the famous "There is no there, there."

In most common use, the quote is used simply to denigrate Oakland, but
not to pretend that she was visiting for the first time.

The more sensible reading, given the more specific circumstances, is
that what she said was meant more in the vein of "You can't go home
again.", but she was much too much of an individual to use someone
else's tired quote. Wikipedia has missed that little part, but it's
readily available elsewhere on the web.
<http://www.tenderbuttons.com/gsonline/alice.html>

Moose