[OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...

Subject: [OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...]
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:07:19 +1000
Moose wrote:
> Marc Lawrence wrote:
>> (Note, this applies to Windows XP - I believe with Vista there is
 >> support for Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, and DNG raw files)

 > Nope. The situation is actually worse in Vista's Explorer. It does
 > not display thumbnails for my CRW and CR2 files.  And, at least when
 > I checked some months ago, the add-on thumbnail/viewer you mention
 > for XP wouldn't work with Vista.

Oh, okay. I saw something that said that for Vista you could download
"codecs" for the different raw files, and I assumed that was what it was
for. Let me have a look...

...here it is:

http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/codecs.aspx

It says "Once these codecs are installed, users will find that they can
view their RAW files and thumbnails throughout Windows Vista", but, then
again it also says "The Photo Gallery will even detect the presence of
these files and help you download a codec when it exists".

I don't have Vista, and so when I saw the above I assumed it was an
equivalent to the XP thumbnail viewer.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz