[OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...

Subject: [OM] Re: Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:11:29 -0700
Dan Mitchell wrote:
> I've tried is that while they may be good at producing a final image, I
> can never be bothered to wrestle with their UI for long enough to find
> this out. Raw therapee has a nice balance of quick to load images with
> the little preview window, and it's fairly easy to play around with, and
> I like that I can queue up raw processing in the background and then get
> back to the next image.

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that A nice touch tha onw acn simply go
about the businessof working oon images and they are processed in the
background.
> Downside: no way to delete images from in the app -- I don't want
> full-blown a/b/c tagging or lightboxes or whatever, but I do like being
> able to hit 'delete' and have the image go away if it's a total dud.

Doesn't bother me much. In fact, I hadn't noticed. In regards to
deletion of images, I've been from the Wabi-Sabi school Bob wrote about
on Zone-10.com for a long time. I don't delete much of anything until
long after the fact. Remember Rambo!
> The other app whose UI I like is Silkypix...
I've never played with it. As I have ACR as my main tool, I'm not much
interested in other non-free solutions. I really only tried RT because
it would view and convert the RAW images from hacked digicams that ACR
never will.
> .. it seems to give better out-of-the-box results than RT (though I may just
> need to find more suitable default settings for RT)
Oops, in case you didn't read the FAQ and docs, RT will use the VNG-4
demosaicing algorithm on demand, which is supposed to work better for
Oly files. dcraw, and who knows which others, will use VNG-4
automatically for ORF files unless you specify something else. RT docs
seem to say that you have to make the setting yourself.
> -- Silkypix seems to only do image ...   On the other hand, silkypix isn't
> free and as Moose points out, RawTherapee is, which is a big point in its
> favour. (also, the free version only does do E-3 images if you convert them
> to DNG first.
I assume you refer here to Silkypix?
> .... Oh, and also free is UFRaw, the gimp plugin -- this works well, nice
> results, reasonable UI (though it's missing 1:1 view for some strange reason)
> and it'll dump the end result straight into GIMP for further editing, but is
> missing a thumbnail view when opening files which is a bit of a pain.

Try Faststone. Free, fast, flexible viewer that you can set to open
whatever editor(s) you want.

Moose