[OM] Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...]

Subject: [OM] Raw developers [was: Just got around to updating the journal...]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:20:05 -0600
Moose wrote:
> RawTherapee will do all the E-thingies actually released at the moment.
> I was pleased with the results for RAW images from the Canon A710. I'll
> admit I basically used all the adjustments very little, just enough to
> get a balanced histogram. Anyway, hard to beat for free.
> <http://www.rawtherapee.com/>

  That's rather nice to use -- the problem I have with most raw things
I've tried is that while they may be good at producing a final image, I
can never be bothered to wrestle with their UI for long enough to find
this out. Raw therapee has a nice balance of quick to load images with
the little preview window, and it's fairly easy to play around with, and
I like that I can queue up raw processing in the background and then get
back to the next image.

  Downside: no way to delete images from in the app -- I don't want
full-blown a/b/c tagging or lightboxes or whatever, but I do like being
able to hit 'delete' and have the image go away if it's a total dud.

  The other app whose UI I like is Silkypix, and it seems to give better
out-of-the-box results than RT (though I may just need to find more
suitable default settings for RT) -- Silkypix seems to only do image
processing on demand, so you can zoom in to 100% to check details
without having to wait while the whole image gets processed, but as you
scroll around, the image shows up initially as pixelated, but gets
detail as soon as it's processed that bit.

  On the other hand, silkypix isn't free and as Moose points out,
RawTherapee is, which is a big point in its favour. (also, the free
version only does do E-3 images if you convert them to DNG first -- I
did that with a bunch of images a while back to make it easier to try
other things, but I could see it getting time-consuming after a while).

  Oh, and also free is UFRaw, the gimp plugin -- this works well, nice
results, reasonable UI (though it's missing 1:1 view for some strange
reason) and it'll dump the end result straight into GIMP for further
editing, but is missing a thumbnail view when opening files which is a
bit of a pain.

  -- dan