[OM] Composition, alignment and maybe some wabi-sabi

Subject: [OM] Composition, alignment and maybe some wabi-sabi
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:46:19 +0000
My tale really starts with this picture:

http://tinyurl.com/ynqmdz

Which I took on my first outing with the E-3 back in December.  You'll
notice it's not aligned perfectly, it's rotated ant-clockwise
slightly.  This bothered me a bit, because I was sure I'd paid special
attention to alignment at the time.  I let it pass and resolved to pay
more attention in future.  But then I kept noticing that I seemed to
have lost the knack of holding a camera level, not that I considered
myself particularly skilled there, but I noticed a difference.  Then
there was TOPE 33.  That one came out straight.  I used live view for
that.  Hmm, I tried an experiment.

I found a piece of old worktop with a nice orthogonal pattern on it,
set up the E-3/50mm f/2 macro pointing straight down at it (used a
spirit level), aligned the pattern with the image edges using live
view and took a picture.  Here it is, shrunk to 1600x1200 pixels.

http://tinyurl.com/2sekcr

Perfectly aligned, I hope you'll agree.  Then I opened the eyepiece
shutter and looked through the optcal viewfinder.  It was noticeably
out of alignment, so I rotated the camera (using the geared head)
until it was back in alignment and took another picture.  This is what
the sensor saw:

http://tinyurl.com/37ztth

Now that just doesn't look straight to me - and obviously isn't if you
check the bottom and right edges.  It's also rotated anti-clockwise by
about the same angle as that picture of the brigde tower I started
with, so enough to spoil a composition where alignment is critical.

For comparison, I tried the E-300 using the same lens.  After aligning
 in live view,  I couldn't see any misalignment in the viewfinder, so
I deliberately rotated the camera and then realigned it by eye.  These
are the results.  Without looking at the filenames, I can't tell which
is which.

http://tinyurl.com/3cczz8

http://tinyurl.com/36m8wx

They're both very very slightly out in an anticlockwise directon, but
I'll take the blame for that.

Have I found another teethng trouble with the E-3?  Am I being too
critical?  I've now convinced myself that I *can* tell when the
camera's level, but what's the point if it's going to record a rotated
image anyway?   My gut feeling is that this should not be regarded as
acceptable in a camera costing £1099, so I'm going to report my
findings to Olympus anyway.

Oh, one other observation - when I swapped cameras there was no
discernible difference in the image alignment between the optical
viewfinders of th E-3 and E-330, which suggests a misaligned sensor in
the E-3.

Anyone else found anything similar?  with any SLR?