[OM] Re: OT - Brickbats

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Brickbats
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 08:48:35 -0500
The Columbia Journalism Review used to run a feature in every
edition--and likely still does--called Darts & Laurels, in which it
applied its own "rare air" standards to journalistic performances by
the American press. I haven't seen a CJR since I left the newsroom 15
years ago, so I don't know what it's doing now.

Many newspapers around the country followed suit with their own
version of Darts & Laurels. At my paper, the Saturday editorial
column was filled with "Bouquets & Barbs." I liked it because it
didn't require an extended period of cogent thought, and I could
heave brickbats at local buttheads.

Most local papers who have their own version of Bouquets & Brickbats
tend to overload with Bouquets and keep Brickbats to a minimum. I
used to think that was a bad idea, but after the growth of food-fight
political shows on cable TV, I'm not sure this whole brickbat thing
is all that good for global karma. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com