[OM] Re: New Film Camera

Subject: [OM] Re: New Film Camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:17:37 -0800
Well actually 120 is short for a portrait lens which is usually about
2x normal. That would be about 180mm on a 6x7. The Mamiya 7 has a
150mm lens which is about the right length, but even the comparatively
long rangefinder base of that camera gives chancey focus. The other
problem is that rangefinder medium format does not focus close enough
for a tight portrait without some help. Some cameras had auxiliary
focusing devices for that purpose. Parallax also gets to be a problem.

Virtually all fixed lens medium format cameras are wide normal to wide
angle as far as I know. There is enough film to crop quite a bit though.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA