[OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 04:21:35 +0100
Le vendredi 1 Février 2008 03:14, Dan Mitchell a écrit :
> chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Yes, the OS must absolutely remain backwardly compatible and,
> >
>  > no, it is not impossible to maintain compatibility while at the
>  > same time offering improvements in function and performance.
>
>   [ignoring the OS-war issue of "is windows v_n+1 better than windows v_n:
> ]
>
>   Ah, the Raymond Chen school of thought -- and while it's possible to
> do this, you can end up with a lot of things that you might not at first
> expect:

The only acceptable backward compatibility is source-level compatibility.
Aiming for binary compatibility is akin to painting a huge target on your
buttock and running around screaming "kick me !". Eventually, you will be.

The linux kernel api has changed at about every major release since 10 years,
but nobody cares because nearly all programs are compiled for the new target.
Binary only programs break, but that's just another incentive to use only
open source.

R. Chen is just a brilliant hacker, but that's not the right stuff to be a
good programmer. Of course, given MS policy, he has no choice. But the day
your bread and butter program will hit a bug caused by a compatibility hack
inserted to run a silly company's bucket of rotten bits, you will regret that
*awful* and *unprofessionnal* behaviour from MS.

--
Manuel Viet