[OM] Re: Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:29:35 -0800
Dharma Singh wrote:
> 2007/12/23, Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Nah, he means Canadian dollars. They're the same thing these days. ;-)

Garth was making a little joke. For decades, the Canadian and US dollars
were always very close to each other in value. The the C$ took a
protracted dive into the netherworld. As the US$ has swooned over the
last couple of years, the two have once again become very close in value.

Unfortunately, it was the US$ that slid down, rather than the C$ that
climbed.
> Somewhere I read you can't use Canadian$ in the USA? And I don't know
> whether you can use US$ in Canada.
> Please enlighten me.

They are completely separate currencies of separate countries that
happen to share a long border and a language. Eh?

For many years before the C$ fall, many border and vacation businesses
would accept them interchangeably, but that was strictly their own
accommodation for business. Neither has any legal statues in the other
country.
> I know the Scottish & English Pound have the same value. But you can't
> use Scottish Pounds in England, but use the English ones in Scotland.

The colonialization lives on, I see. Even though I once did a lot of
business with people in both countires, i never did entirely understand
the details of the political situation/connection. In any case, it is
much more intertwined, emotional and complex than the relationship of
the US and Canada, as sovereign nations connected by treaties and such.

As a practical matter, there are a number of areas along the border
where you'd have a hard time telling which side you were on based on
geography, weather, speech/accents, etc. Then, of course, there's
Quebec. I love Montreal, perhaps in part because it is so NOT like the
US. :-)

Moose