[OM] Re: Camera for Bolivia [was Christmas camera wish list]

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera for Bolivia [was Christmas camera wish list]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:12:09 -0800
USHER99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Good spot by Moose.  I hope the IQ is good as the MP are higher on the  A650
> than the A720 and the sensor smaller.
Not sure just how you meant that. The A650 has a larger sensor and more
mps, so the density appears form my calcs to be very close to the same.
Probably is just the same, as there isn't much sense in two design/layouts.

I've done a quick check of A650 files downsampled (FM SI Pro II) to the
same pixel dimensions as the A710/720. The net effect is considerably
greater detail sharpness and somewhat less noise. Still not as good as
the F30, but quite an improvement.
> I don't believe any CHDK hack is yet available.  After seeing Moose's even
> for a few minutes on  the A710 I would very much like it on a similar digicam
> if at all possible.  The only CHDK available on a digic 111 is for the G7.
> The OS has  changed and it will not be a simple porting of the previous hack
> :-(.
The good news is that there seems to be a very active group of hackers
all trying to outdo each other in cleverness. First one to crack the new
OS gets braggin' rights.
> The  firmware for the S5 has been dumped and it appears the powers that be
> are working on it  (the nice hack is available for the S3)

I simply found the S3 unusable. The LCD too small and low rez and the
EVF too slow and low rez. And focus at the long end too iffy. I went in
to try it out a second time at a different store, in hopes that it had
improved or I'd seen a bad one. Nope. The S5 is not perfect, but at
least I could use it.

Moose