[OM] OT - us and the US

Subject: [OM] OT - us and the US
From: Gordon Ross <gordross@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:13:12 -0700
HI Wayne:

Yes, so true and sad.  It is not so much what Canada supplies, it is
more about the perception that Canadians are polite, fair and
historically, thanks to Lester Pearson and our small but resourceful
military working as peacekeepers,  our international image is quite
good- we have a quiet respect.   We are also a small country, our
dealings are conducted as such and are balanced and we have a good
history of lets say 'somewhat biased' neutrality, What I mean is that
we love our cousins to the south, sometimes we disagree but we would
never disown them or not act as a friend but we are sovereign and act
independantly - ie Cuba for instance. Balancing that  - Afghanistan
for instance - now that we are there we can see that our help is
needed, and sadly, that the right sides don't always win the war. I am
pretty sure if you ask most Canadians though, we got there not on the
merits of the war in Afghanistan but as a result of  our friendship
with the US.  We will fight for them and with them. Our friendship is
to the death, no one should test or doubt that.  As much as we may
occasionally dislike her politics, get embarrassed by her excesses, or
perplexed at her follies the  'Americans' are our friends and we know
that they are good people. We see the generosity, the willingness to
get involved, the bravery of standing in harms way. We also see how
this can be lost on others through politics, corporate heavy
handedness and the ill effects of certain three letter agencies.
There may be lots of room for improvement but, on balance,  the world
is a better place with the US in it. (note to cousins- please don't
wave the flag at this point, we know who you are and you can't shake
hands while you're waving the flag).   Merry Christmas cousins and to
all a good night.

Gord