[OM] Re: Cleaning advise (was New digital film for Zuikos---Canyon 7D?)

Subject: [OM] Re: Cleaning advise (was New digital film for Zuikos---Canyon 7D?)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:35:01 -0800
Johann Thorsson wrote:
> I still have not had the courage to do this, but I plan to try blowing this
> stuff gently away with my rocket blower (mounted on a triphod, facing
> downwards is the way to do this I guess).  If that does not help then I will
> resort to other more drastic methods suggested here.

Not so much a recommendation as an anecdotal report from the front.

Since I have been impressed by the way that even vigorous application of
a LensPen to coated lens surfaces ca;uses no damage at all (Initially
tried out on lenses with other problems that rendered them valueless.),
I bought their SensorKlear. It is just a small version of the LensPen
with a triangular tip to get into corners.

I have used it once, with reasonable success in removing specks and
complete success in not marking the surface in any way I could see with
magnifying goggles on or in images.

I try to be a good boy, and have used the Rocket blower two of the three
times I've cleaned the 5D sensor. Last time, I couldn't locate the
blower easily and succumbed to my own version of common sense. I know, I
know, Dust-Off and similar products are terrible, destructive things
that can destroy my sensor, mental stability and health. But I've used
it for years on film, screwed up once and froze a frame with liquid
whatever it is in there.

And yet, with a can that's half full or less, held upright, it's just
nice clean compressed gas. And it allows careful direction and volume
control of the puffs of gas. It's like using a scalpel compared to the
butcher's knife of the big snout of the hand blower nozzle, which has a
wide, unfocused pattern and waves around as the bulb is squeezed. The
blower really just sucks in dust laden room air and blows it
indiscriminately all over the mirror box, creating a random vortex of
moving air laden with room dust together with dust blown loose from the
mirror box.

This last cleaning, I used Dust-Off in small, controlled puffs and
sweeps right down on top of the sensor, not helter-skelter all over the
mirror box. One pass, check, and all's clear but for one large speck. I
locate it visually, direct a careful little blast right at it close up,
and that's it, all clean. And no need to touch the sensor with anything.

Now I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE DO THIS. I am reporting on the
results of my own foolishness. Anyone reading this who embarks on their
own version of foolishness is on their own, and solely responsible for
the results of their own actions. GOT it?

It does make me think that perhaps, in the many efforts to find the
perfect dust removal system, that the advantages of air/gas delivered at
higher pressures, but through a much smaller diameter opening on a long,
slender pipe/wand/nozzle and with finely adjustable force and duration
than is available with current hand blowers, have been under appreciated.

Now that the Rocket Blower has resurfaced, I'm thinking of attaching a
Dust-Off tube to a flexible plastic hose attached in turn to the blower
nozzle. Now  I need to figure out how to filter the air the blower sucks
in.....

Moose