[OM] Re: OT - weather station - and barometric pressure

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - weather station - and barometric pressure
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:58:02 -0500
In my much younger days I was much enamored by simple neural networks
and once built a Perceptron (Rosenblatt, 1958) in software.  Simple
neural nets were on the out amongst aritificial intelligence researchers
in the early 70's when I built mine but I was still fascinated by what
they could do vs. what they couldn't.  Mine was really simple and was
only used to do character recognition of block letters.  One of the
things that inspired me was work done at Stanford on a very similar
machine called an Adaline.  The Adaline was used to predict rainfall
(yes/no) for the San Francisco area based *only* on barometric pressure
as reported from many local area stations for the day preceding the
prediction.  It was actually slightly more accurate (87 vs 85% if I
recall correctly) than the official weather bureau forecast.

It makes me wonder what could be achieved by a really large array of
barometric reporting stations and a single modern PC.  The software for
something like a Perceptron or Adaline is pretty simple.

Chuck Norcutt