[OM] Re: E-3 happiness

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 happiness
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:23:07 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
> I have to say that this camera is just excellent.  If I have to stay
> digital, the facilities available on this machine are just what I have
> been looking for.
>
> I haven't tried IS yet, but I do like Live View.  The ability to use
> the monitor if I wish, or to put it away if I don't, is curiously
> satisfying.

Yep.  When I'm concerned that the monitor might get its surface whacked,
I just flip it around and stow it.

Chris, give IS a whirl.  A couple of evenings ago I took a tack-sharp
shot handheld at 1/6th of a second.  Surprised the daylights out of me!

> The Basic manual is pretty confusing at times: it doesn't explain
> processes well enough so I have to work it out for myself most of the
> time.

I'm convinced most technology companies employ Rhesus monkeys to write
their manuals.  Can't say I blame 'em: I used to write manuals and found
out that no-one in the target audiences even bothered to open them.
Nothing like also being a Tier 3 tech-support guy and telling them the
answer to their question was on page 53 of the manual...  Thus,
companies are reluctant to put real time and effort into the docs.

> The AF Mode is easier to select than I thought it might be.  And the
> AF is pretty speedy.
>
> I couldn't stretch to the 12-60, but I might find that the 14-54 is
> preferable for its speed and weight;

[snip]

Chris, if you can swing it at all, go for the 12-60 -- it's TOTALLY
worth it!  Makes an impressive macro lens, too.

Garth