[OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:52:30 -0700
I agree. It is difficult to see where Olympus is going with this. A
smaller format with its attendant disadvantages while not delivering
its frequently marketed advantages. It seems to me that an upgraded
E-510 with a metal body would have been all they needed to provide a
unique small semi-pro camera six months earlier and a more
competitive price.

The whole lock into 4/3 seems like a dead end except for the bottom
end of the DLSR market. I have no doubt that if they could have
gotten a good higher ISO image from a 4/3 sensor with 12 MP that
would be the big camera you would be seeing, but with a $3000 price.
It is expected that FF sensors will proliferate in much of the Canon
line and it looks like Nikon is also going in that direction. I can't
imagine that Sony will not follow suit considering they are now
building FF sensors for Nikon. If Oly is going to make a digital Pen
line of cameras they need to remember why people bought Pens, a
surprisingly good image from a tiny camera. If they are going to
duplicate the OM success, the genius of which was a small, high
quality camera using the SAME format film as everyone else, then
their E-single digit needs to be a small, high quality FF camera with
lenses to go with it.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA