[OM] Re: Low light photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Low light photography
From: "Walters, Martin" <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:32:27 -0400
John:
I spent some time underground as a geologist and occasional photographer. Thing
to remember underground is there is NO ambient light. It's a whole new
experience in blackness. You're entirely dependent on artificial light. In
metal mines, there is not the explosion risk and I had no difficulty with
flash, unless there's spray or dust in the air (another story).

FWIW, you can use electrical equipment in coal mines, though such equipment has
to be certified accordingly (flameproof). If the underground workings are part
of a musuem and open to the public, then they should be well ventilated. Are
you certain that you cannot take down ANY electronic cameras? Quite frankly,
unless you're in extremely well lit workings (e.g., an underground garage) I
doubt there'd be enough light for any non-flash photography (and you'd need a
tripod).

I remember taking pictures underground in the Cape Breton mining museum lots of
years ago. These were very shallow, but I was able to use flash.

My 2¢ (1p) worth.

Martin