[OM] Re: [OT] monitor problem and questions

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] monitor problem and questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:09:01 -0700
Richard Lovison wrote:
> I have an aging CRT.........  Approximately how much time do I have left
> before the monitor fails completely?
Impossible to know.
> It looks like I'll finally have to shift to a LCD.  Anyone have
> recommendations for an inexpensive 19 or 20 inch model for photo
> editing?  What specs should I be concerned with?  I have an ATI Radeon
> 9700 Pro video card that accepts a DVI-I connector and I'm assuming most
> newer LCDs should work with this card.  Thought I might make a trip to
> our local Best B*y to check some models out in person.

I generally agree with others. Don't pick a size ahead of time, go with
what fits your needs after looking around. And especially remember that
the vertical dimension of the current 16:9 models is less than that of a
4:3 model with the same diagonal measurement. So if you have a 19" CRT,
most 19" LCDs will have a smaller vertical size and images will be
smaller on it. you would need a 21-22" LCD for the same vertical size.
There's more real estate, but it's of no use for vertical images.

As Chuck recalls, I bought a Samsung 226BW in July and am very happy
with it. I did most of my research on line, checking both "pro" and user
reviews.

I recommend against making any decisions about anything other than size
at BB or any mass market retailer. The images are often poor, or
atypical and without alternatives, lighting wrong, viewing angle
completely different than at home, etc. and the selection never includes
the right models, in my limited experience. I know this is in opposition
to the idea of seeing what you are getting, but it worked for me. I
never saw any of the Samsung series that I bought from in a store, but
the preponderance of user reviews was correct.

Moose