[OM] Re: Back on the list; scanner questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Back on the list; scanner questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:45:44 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I don't have Vista..... It's possible the 2906 driver would run the Acard
> SCSI adapter that comes with the Scanwit.

I certainly don't know about Acard. I am running an Adaptec 2930CU card
under Vista and the XP driver from Adaptec works. They have a new one
for Vista that I haven't tried yet.

An important thing to know about Vista and drivers - it is not uncommon,
in my experience, for the driver installer to not be Vista compatible,
but for the driver it installs to be fine under Vista. So the trick is
to set the properties for the installer for compatibility with an
earlier version of Windoze. It then runs fine the one time it is needed
and the driver is OK too. It seems that most XP drivers are fine with Vista.

As I recall, this worked for my LaserJet and the Adaptec card, which is
happily running with an XP driver, and maybe for something else?
> One big caveat might be that ASPI is not supported in Vista.  Maybe that
> is the deal breaker since I think most devices use ASPI commands to the
> SCSI device.
I don't know if it had anything to do with ASPI, I thought that was for
SCSI, but you do need two drivers, one for the SCSI card, as above, and
one for the scanner device itself. If you use VueScan, you may not have
a scanner driver problem. The Canyon software for my FS4000 is not Vista
compatible, nor ever going to be, so I couldn't run it that way, even if
I wanted to. But VueScan comes with a generic driver that drives the
scanner fine. Explained under the Windows Release Notes here.
<http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported>

As to the Plusteck scanner, I did some looking into it a while ago and
was not impressed. I think there is a thread in the archives.

As I recall, each frame had to be manually pushed into place, not
necessarily a killer, but the scanner is also very slow, esp. with the
IR dust removal activated, so babysitting it through a roll could be
really long and annoying. I used to do this with my Canyon FS2710, but
it's scan times aren't so long, so I could just do it as I was working
on other things on the computer. The feed system where frames other than
the one being scanned are hanging out horizontally seems to me to be an
invitation to dust. With all the other film scanners I know of, the film
goes all the way into the machine, usually sitting vertical, and feeds
out as each frame is scanned. And in flatbeds, the film is covered while
being scanned.

There are also comments that the IR dust removal has a noticeable
negative effect on detail retention, unlike the ICE and FARE on the
major brands. I seem to also recall that it clearly isn't 7200 dpi, but
there isn't that much detail on any film I have. So it wouldn't be a big
deal, except it contributes to the long scan times.

They were also very cagey in their literature, again, recollection from
months ago, about DMax. The existing reviews I found on the web aren't
from 'real' serious testers, but I seem to recall one commenting on low
dynamic range. So I wouldn't consider it for slides.

As someone else mentioned, if I couldn't get my old scanner running
under Vista, I'd be looking at a flatbed, probably an Epson V700,
although the 4990 is cheaper and also looks pretty good.

Moose