[OM] Re: Back on the list; scanner questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Back on the list; scanner questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:50:43 -0400
I don't have Vista but I do have an Acer Scanwit which I use with an
Adaptec 2906 card (cheap on ebay).  According to Adaptec the 2906 is
supported (by them, not Microsoft) in Vista.
<http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/scsi/2900/AVA-2906/>
The fact that I use the 2906 is just a historical accident.  I once
moved the Scanwit to another machine that already had a 2906 in it.  It
just worked so I never bothered to move the Acard adapter.  It's
possible the 2906 driver would run the Acard SCSI adapter that comes
with the Scanwit.

One big caveat might be that ASPI is not supported in Vista.  Maybe that
is the deal breaker since I think most devices use ASPI commands to the
SCSI device.  You can see the device support status here:
<http://adaptec-tic.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14790&p_created=1160005296&p_sid=5rDtT6Ki&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD00NTcyJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1>

ps:  If you're just back on the list you probably don't know that Walt
Wayman died a month or two back.  Following his wife who died quietly in
the car while returning from a road trip about a year ago.

Chuck Norcutt