[OM] Re: voting [was: little rant on e-mail politeness]

Subject: [OM] Re: voting [was: little rant on e-mail politeness]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:59:35 -0400
Unfortunately, hand counting and transposition of hand written numbers
is probably as prone to error as the deliberate mischief.

I will never forget coming out of school with my business degree and a
lot of background in operations research.  My first job at IBM was
production planning and I had all sort of visions of how I was going to
wow the company with all of the slick optimizations I was going to
develop for the parts planning and production processes.  Then the
too-smart-for-his-britches kid ran into the reality which was that our
much balleyhooed, computer planned and controlled parts planning process
was totally crippled by manual data entry errors.  There was probably
not a single one of the 60-80,000 parts in the inventory that was within
5% of having a correct quantity on hand.  No way could you risk running
with a lean inventory as you'd likely run out of most everything in
short order.

So, I went on a religious crusade to get the numbers right and that did
more than any sophisticated process to make things run smoothly.

The only way you can trust a manual count is to have multiple people
doing it in parallel and they all have to agree.  And if you feel
someone or something is diddling with the numbers at any level you need
to have more than one count.

Chuck Norcutt