[OM] Re: Uh oh..dust!

Subject: [OM] Re: Uh oh..dust!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:54:25 -0700
DIY. There are many articles on how to do it. I like this one because
he keeps on top of the latest developments and actually uses them and
tells you which ones are good and which are not. For instance, sensor
swabs were universally condemned and people made their own tools, but
now the swab has been fixed.

http://bythom.com/cleaning.htm

My take on it is that it is a long time till the first cleaning and
then more frequently after that. I think it is because after a while
there is fine dust clinging to every surface that gets moved around
with the motion of the mirror and shutter. Some judicious brushing of
the entire mirror box area  might be in order if cleanings start
coming too frequently. Visible Dust has tools for that, although very
pricey, and you may want to improvise your own.

I am now very skeptical of the charged brush theory although I fell
for it myself. I think every manufacturer now has grounded the cover
filter on their sensor in order to eliminate static charge
attraction. So the static charge on the brush would be drained
immediately when you touch the cover on the sensor. It is just the
brushing that does it in my opinion. Of course you still need a soft,
uncontaminated brush of the right size which is helped by using air
to blow off anything loose on the bristles.

I have not had to do it yet with my D200. My D100 needed it about
every six months or so depending on how actively I was using it.

Nikon used to clean them for free. Don't know if that is still the
policy.  I understand that the tool of choice there is a swab wrapped
around a chop stick.  That will make you wince.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA