[OM] Re: Uh oh..dust!

Subject: [OM] Re: Uh oh..dust!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:44:54 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I know this .......
>
> I also hear that the LensPen SensorKlear works very well.  I have one
> but haven't used it yet since I didn't need to after the last brush
> cleaning.
I got one a while ago, mostly 'cause it was cheap in a set with the lens
cleaner I was buying. I just tried it the other day, only my second
cleaning in 18 months of having the 5D. The blower left a spot I didn't
like. The pen got rid of that, but brought in a bunch of other smaller
specs. I theorized that a static charge on the plastic body of the pen
may have attracted some small dust particles?

So I used the old LP anti-static gun on the camera chamber again, used
the blower again and that brought things under control. There are still
a few tiny specs that show up in a full pixel view of a clear sky shot
at f22, but they just don't matter.

Next time I use the pen, I'll shoot it with the anti-static gun first.

When I compare the problems of sensor dust to dust on scanned film, they
are just nothing.  Before I got around to cleaning, I had a big u-shaped
thing that would show up in the sky and a couple of other smaller spots,
starting at about f8. In the sky, the healing brush takes care of them
in an instant. When the big one wasn't in the sky, it just wasn't
noticeable. Since I had a lot of trip shots with it in there, I tried to
see the effect other than in the sky. I had to overlay a sky shot to
locate the spot, then I could see it, but just barely. Anyone not
looking for it would never notice.

As with lenses, excessive worry and cleaning is counter-productive, IMO.

Moose