[OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:55:08 -0700
The list of problems in our last four elections is legion. People
threatened by police in their homes for organizing get out the vote
drives in their "wrong" neighborhood(Florida). Rejection of voter
registration applications because they were on the wrong weight of
paper after having them printed on the wrong weight paper and issuing
them to potential voters(Ohio)  Volunteer voter registration
campaigns run by the Republican Party in which all the registrations
for the opposing party were thrown into trash bins instead of being
filed so that the person could vote(Nevada). Voting machines counting
more votes in a precinct than registered voters, all for the party
that won(Ohio). Voting machines delivered in generous numbers to well-
to-do precincts and in inadequate numbers to working class
neighborhoods resulting in hours long waits to vote, while unused
machines sat in warehouses(Ohio). Voting machines stored without
security so that they could not be tampered with(Ohio). So called
"vote caging" which is a fraudulent practice of disqualifying voters
of the wrong persuasion(Ohio, Florida, New Mexico, Nevada). The
Republican Party has been under a legal injunction to since the late
90's to no longer engage in the practice, but the recent Senate
judiciary committee hearings revealed that it was still being
practiced, but with no action by the Justice Department. Voters
challenged by party operatives because their name is on a caging list
and prevented from voting. A voter came forward(in Arizona, I
believe) and asked whether her vote could be rescinded because she
thought she was not properly registered. Tried and imprisoned for
voter fraud.  Voting machine corporations controlled by CEOs who have
made public statements to reelect the current regime "by any means
necessary"(Diebold) and State Officers with election responsibility
prominently placed in party reelection organizations(Florida, Ohio,
and probably many others).

Just a few of the documented cases. Lots of reasons for voter anger.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA