[OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness
From: Doug <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:06:43 -0400
On Friday, August 24, 2007 22:17, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Probably most murkins won't sell to no furriners coz ya gotta make a
> trip to the post office.  Gets 'spensive in time and gas.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> Andrew Fildes wrote:
> > Well, WHY DONCHYA THEN! My own irritation is murkins who won't sell
> > to any other country (well perhaps Canada if you grovel). Sometimes
> > they have statements like 'Ain't gonna, don't ask' (well thats the
> > tone). Very frustrating sometimes.

I think there are several reasons.

1) A lot of Americans have no understanding of anything but their own city or
neighborhood.  I live in upstate New York state. It's unbelievable how many
times it's been said to me "How do you live in the city like that" and I've
heard "you mean they have trees in NY. I'm willing to bet that they have no
understanding that France, Germany, England, Spain etc are part of Europe.

2) If you don't do it all the time there is significant time involved in doing
the research in making sure it is done right and that you are getting enough
money for shipping.

3) A preception that you have no legal recourse if the deal goes bad. Most
people fail they a little PRACTICAL recourse within the country if the deal
goes bad.

4) I'd want a very good understanding of the fees involved processing any kind
of out of country money transfer, be it a check, money order, paypal or wire
transfer. I know of one bank in my area I expect to walk into someday and
have them give you a mask with a coin slot on it so that they can charge you
for the air you breath.

5) For and occasional seller of a relatively low cost it just isn't worth it.

6) I'd personally would consider it just for the experience of it if nothing
else.

It reminds me of a guy I worked with. His uncle ran a roofing business. We
were talking and he told me that that his uncle only did simple strait
forward 5/12 pitch roofs. I asked him why.  The reason was that he didn't
have to he could get all the work he could handle doing simple roofs. He
didn't have to get involved with anything that was more complicated where his
risks were higher.