[OM] Re: Digital Black and White

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Black and White
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:58:31 -0400
Hi Chuck,

A bit of an aside, though ran into a series of photos using this
software to extend dynamic range.

Likely not necessary for scanned negatives, and have seen even .jpgs
manipulated in PS to accomplish a similar task.  It looks fast though.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html

Saw some nice images with it on a Zoto site, though many have a
surrealistic overdone look, IMO.  Wonder what you or anyone thinks
about it.  They do compare it to some PS manipulations, though they do
not use the more elegant processing of many list members to fix these
problems.
In any event, thought you might find it interesting.

Mike

Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Maybe not.  How about your Epson flatbed?

As yet unpurchased. That's the expense, $500 for a V700. I only have an

older, inexpensive Canyon flatbed that will do a couple of 35 mm
frames,

not MF.

> I think the only limitation of the flatbed relative to a dedicated
film

> scanner is dynamic range, especially with MF film where you won't
need super

> high resolution.  So, can't you do two or three different exposure
scans on

> the flatbed and combine them in PS to get extended dynamic range?
from AOL at AOL.com.