[OM] Re: e-510

Subject: [OM] Re: e-510
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:21:06 +0800
On 7/24/07, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Regardless of how you go about divvying up the real estate into pixels a
> 35mm size frame has 3.8X as much area as a 4/3 frame.  Lots more space
> to catch those photons.

That only means the tradeoff between resolution, dynamic range, high-ISO
performance and noise harder. It does not necessarily mean that a good
solution cannot be achieved.

> Jay Maynard wrote:
> >
> > ... At some
> > point, the 4/3 sensor size will set an absolute limit on number of pixels,
> > and that number will be smaller than the number on a larger sensor.

Perhaps, but there are lots of trade-offs involved and probably quite a few
different good solutions. You want high resolution and dynamic range,
high sensitivity, low noise, fast data transfer, ... A larger sensor loosens
some of the constraints, that's all.

And there are advantages to the small sensor, too.

First off, it is well known that chip costs increase non-linearly with area.
The full frame sensor with four times the area is /much/ more than four
times as expensive to produce.

Suppose it is ten times more expensive to produce the big chip. What
if the small sensor guys spend 10 times as much as well, to use the
newest and best techniques on their 4/3 sensors? Can they gain as
much there as they lose on area? I've no idea; my only point here is
that some previous comments are an oversimplification.

The smaller sensor and lenses can lead to smaller lighter cameras.
Sensor-moving shake reduction is easier. And so on.

Probably most important, lens design is in some ways easier.
A quick check at http://www.4-3system.com/modules/lenses/

shows a 35-100 F2 Zuiko that weighs 1650 grams and lists at $2200.
Or 150 F2, a bit lighter and same price. Can you find a 70-200 F2 or
300 F2 for full frame? How hard are they on your wallet and shoulder?

--
Sandy Harris
Quanzhou, Fujian, China