[OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coi

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coi
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:13:40 -0500
Perhaps I am wrong, but recently  a list member posted his dissatisfaction
with the 14-45 in terms of edge softness and distortion.

This is all about marketing, and didn't just happen with DSLR's the major
manufacturers noticed that they were selling  lot of bodies and not so many
lenses. A trip to a mass marketer showed that it was more often than not
that a body from one of the names was paired with a lens from someone else.
That wasn't because the lenses were better, but because they allowed a lower
price and a higher profit. I would hesitate to say they were the worst, but
Ritz certainly was a big offender.

Then, Canon paired "competitive" lenses with an advertising campaign that
asked if you were buying their camera, why would you not buy one of their
lenses?

Yes, there are choices. I prefer to make mine informed, but living where I
do, it isn't easy. If a store has a lens, they don't often have two. There
is no one that carries large lines. I doubt that I am unique.

I know, I know, the history of photography doesn't go to a better and better
quality image. If it did, we would all be shooting LF.

Bill Pearce