[OM] Re: First newbie question

Subject: [OM] Re: First newbie question
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:41:02 +1000
But does it have an altimeter? The average life of an auto
transmission around here used to be around 120,000 miles - I've had
near that that out of a clutch, never mind a box. And torque
converters go as well. Then, there's the life of the computer to
consider - I wonder how many of the lovely old cars I see around
would still be running if they had them. What's going to happen when
the computer on your perfectly serviceable 20yo vehicle dies and you
can't get a new one? I worry that we've created cars with exceptional
economy (in response to US legislation) but turned them into 12 year
disposables. When I was last in the UK I borrowed my parent's 10yo
immaculate, low mileage Vauxhall (GM) Cavalier.  Nice car, another
ten years left in it and worth virtually nothing (thanks to MOT).
It's all an evil capitalist conspiracy I tell you...
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx