[OM] Re: First newbie question

Subject: [OM] Re: First newbie question
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:08:21 -0700
I have to agree, I think. We are fooled here by the Department of
Transportation figures which show automatic transmission versions of
cars to have the same or sometimes better fuel consumption figures.
The result is caused by building cars that will test well on a
dynamometer test. Almost all automatic transmission cars have higher
final drive ratios which help the mileage compared to the lower
geared manual transmission versions. That gearing also hits their
acceleration.  In real use the manual transmission cars are not only
quicker, but they get better fuel economy. The fuel economy by real
drivers part can be checked at:

http://fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList

I think you idea of the computer is a good one. I have recently been
hanging out on some of the hybrid forum sites and they live by their
computers. The mileage in a hybrid seems to be quite variable and
watching the computer can mean the difference between mileage in the
high 30s or mileage above 50 MPG. It should work for any car, perhaps
to a lesser extent.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA