[OM] Re: [OT] M8

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] M8
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:00:01 +1000
Indeed - not gone yet as I'm waiting for the battery to charge. For
the M8 of course.
Just a few smug git comments though.

There are instructions on how to unpack the M8 box properly. :-)
In fact, the box is brilliantly designed.
It does NOT have an auto transmission.
There is a degree of reverence involved in opening it all up and
handling it.
(We are not worthy...)
You place it on the table and just look at it for a while.
It is a truly beautiful object.
They sent me a black one.
Ooooooh indeed.

Then you open the lens package - 35mm Summicron 6-bit, brand new.
You hold it and wonder how something that small can weigh so much.
You gasp. Your hand trembles.
This is jewelry. A Tiffany egg.
It costs US$3,000 (street price).
The satin finish of the metal; the snick of the stops; the whisper of
the focus ring; the sheen on the glass; the perfect concavity of the
rear element; the sheer gravity of it.
None of this has anything to do with photography - it speaks to
something deeper.
Very, very much deeper.
I think I'm in lerv.
Help......

After all that the Digilux 3 looks positively, well....Panasonic.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx