[OM] Re: Signing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Signing photos
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 07:57:54 +1000
Here it is/was 'owner/drivers' who got caught in that trap. Not the
big-rig guys but the local delivery people. You lease your van,
you've got the company name painted on it but somehow you're self-
employed, get no benefits and can be laid off at a moments notice. I
had a tour through a large company once; saw perhaps a hundred vans
ready to go, all driven by 'independent' companies of one person.
The British had a simple way of closing that one down - if you were
self-employed, you had to have more than one client. Caught my mother
out once when she ran a little business college and  had a contract
with a major corporation - she had to work on a Saturday morning
teaching an unconnected class!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx