[OM] Re: Signing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Signing photos
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 12:26:05 -0400
Dear David,

Yosuf Karsh used india ink, basically carbon soot in a colloidal suspension. It
will never fade.
But it doesn't work in fountain pens, just with a stick pen and inkwell. Not a
problem for
signatures.

I'd be wary of thin inks which could soak in and spread.

Ciao, tOM

On 25 May 2007 at 20:00,
David Carter <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Whatever method used to sign. Please don't use a method that's easily
> erasable. Eg Biro ink can be "soaked" off by bleach fumes
>
> David
>
> Chris Crawford wrote:
> > There are rules for signing works of art on paper, which includes
> > Photography. The signiture should be done in Pencil only outside the image
> > area (in the white border..print on big enough paper to allow this) right
> > under the lower right corner of the picture. If you used a type of paper
> > that will not work with pencil (eg, Glossy or pearl surfaces) then a
> > permananent marker like sharpie is ok. Pencil is preferred because pencil
> > will never, ever fade. All inks eventually will, but pencil will outlive any
> > photographic print or watercolor painting and will outlast many types of
> > drawings too.
> >
> > The mat is cut a little larger than the image area so that the edges of the
> > image show and the signiture shows. I usually leave an extra 1/4 inch around
> > the top and sides, and 3/4 to one inch on the bottom to show the signiture.
> > A title can be written under the picture on the border under the right
> > corner if you wish...the mat cut as I describe will allow the title to show
> > as well.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

tOM Trottier,   Abacurial Information Architecture,
+1 613 860-6633 http://abacurial.com
N45.41235 W75.71345     tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
758 Albert St.  Ottawa ON K1R 7V8    Canada