[OM] Re: Signing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Signing photos
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 07:14:20 -0400
Someone ought to inscribe this in granite and put it up over a nice
building somewhere!

The only cure I know presently to business-as-usual in the, ah, art
world, is the artist cooperative. If you can find enough artists that
have not only the talent to produce marketable work, but also enough
sense to not muck up a cooperative, you have a winning combination.
Unfortunately, finding such creatures is getting more difficult, as
MFA programs keep churning out, ah, artists. <g>

I belong to a craft co-op, which is a running PIA, but which sells a
lot of my stuff. As I'm on the board, and a serious PIA myself <g>,
this works out well. I also belong to an art foundation in a nearby
town, and I'm constantly butting heads with the serious "art" crowd.
One board member who didn't like the fact I was selling stuff right
and left out of the gallery tried to sneak a line in the bylaws
requiring all exhibitors to number their prints. I don't do numbered
prints. Fortunately, the gallery director stepped in and squashed the
movement, pointing out how many months rent my commissions had
provided. But that won't stop 'em for long. They've got such a bad
case of self-importance that they'll do anything necessary to screw
up a good thing.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com