[OM] Re: Anybody using Olympus Viewer or Studio with Vista?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anybody using Olympus Viewer or Studio with Vista?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:19:15 -0700
khen lim wrote:
> You could drive a Space Shuttle PLUS the Pentagon with what you have....

Well, you asked... And I won't have it for three more days. :-)

My theory is to buy just short of the leading edge, so it won't be toooo
expensive, yet won't be obsoleted too fast. I've had the last box about
four years and it's still fully functional for everything but big files
in PS, where it works but is just too slow. I spend a lot of time in PS
and way too much of it is spent waiting for a function to complete.

A long time ago, IBM did a study of productivity vs. response time on
timesharing systems. The results clearly showed that slow response times
lead to reduced productivity way out of proportion to the difference in
actual time spent waiting for the computer. It seems that there is a
breaking point where the mind wanders and loses track of the task at
hand, leading to reduced operator response times.

I know they sold us hardware based on the study, and assume they sold a
lot in general, but my experience was that they were right. When I could
interact with the system as fast as I could think and act, I was WAY
more effective. I think the same thing applies to image editing today.
I've even been toying with the idea of a separate, small, high rpm HD
just for the PS cache. I suppose that 64 bit and lots of primary memory
is the solution, but just now, 64 bit is too expensive and has too many
issues with compatibility for me.

With the box before that, I chose middle of the road performance for the
time and it wasn't as satisfactory for as long as the current one has
been. Once most work has been transferred to the new box, I plan to
attack the old one with a serious application and registry cleaning.
Then it will go WiFi in another room to keep Carol Anne out of my hair
on my machine and serve as backup system.

Moose