[OM] Re: Care of the 65-200 f/4, was: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Care of the 65-200 f/4, was: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:25:53 -0700
The haze on the 65-200 is suspected to be due to oil migrating to the
lens. Putting the lens in a nice sunny window might make it worse. I
don't know how the "cement" used in double elements reacts to sunlight
(I believe sunlight is used to cure one type of cement). You might
damage your lens with repeated temperature cycling and stong sunlight.
Finally, strong sunlight could help fade the paint on the lens. If
your lens has a fungus infection, these risks are small compared to
the benefit of killing the fungus. If you are unlikely to get a fungus
infection, then the preventative "cure" probably isn't worth the risk.
YMMV,
-jeff