[OM] Re: Care of the 65-200 f/4, was: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Care of the 65-200 f/4, was: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 14:42:47 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Eh?  I have a 65-200 that I bought from a list member perhaps 6 years
> ago.  It has almost never been used (I have far too many lenses) and has
> spent 99% of its life sitting in my OM lens drawer.  It's possible the
> front element has been cleaned once since I bought it but the rear
> element has never been cleaned.  Despite never being cleaned my rear
> element is perfectly hazeless.
I said "one of the" rear elements, not "the" rear element. I don't have
one of these lenses for the very reason of reports of this problem on
the list, so my information is hearsay based on what I've read here.

What I recall is that it is an interior element in the rear part of the
lens, and always the same one.

In the time I've been on the list, I recall one member (Bill B.? Walt?
??) reporting his copy to be haze free early on, then later reporting
that the haze had developed while he wasn't paying attention. So it may
not be a question of whether a given lens will develop the haze, but
when - or not.
> Of course, it was hazeless when I bought it so maybe what you meant is that a
> lens which does develop haze has to be cleaned regularly?
It is again my recollection that there was at least one report of haze
starting to return on an element that had been cleaned. As many sources
have said that the damage can become permanent if not treated promptly,
my conclusion that checking and recleaning would be wise/needed is one
of logic, not personal experience.
>   Does that also mean that a hazed rear element must also be removed to clean
> both sides?

Again, I don't believe it is "the" rear element. And I seem to recall
that it is always one surface of the same element, but I'm not as sure
of that. There is a lot of discussion of this issue in the archives and
I know John H. has weighed in more than once.

Moose