[OM] Re: Care of the 65-200 f/4, was: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Care of the 65-200 f/4, was: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:26:08 -0700
Manuel Viet wrote:
> Le dimanche 20 Mai 2007 23:42, Moose a écrit :
>

>> It is again my recollection that there was at least one report of haze
>> starting to return on an element that had been cleaned. As many sources
>> have said that the damage can become permanent if not treated promptly,
>> my conclusion that checking and recleaning would be wise/needed is one
>> of logic, not personal experience.
>>

> It is my understanding that most haze problems come from fungus
Correct.
>  (don't know for that specific lens).
Possibly not true for this one element of this one lens. Or at least not
amenable to the usual fungus solutions. I've heard various speculations
about the cause, including some component of the coating on one surface
of one element that includes something especially yummy or haze from
some component of a lubricant. Who knows. But it is a unique problem
with this one OM lens.

Moose