[OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again

Subject: [OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 08:39:33 -0400
I never really considered any Canyon glass for the 5D and based that
strictly on the price.  I bought a new Tokina 28-80/2.8 AT-X Pro and a
used Tokina 80-200/2.8 AT-X Pro.  I would have bought a new 80/200 if
Tokina still made it but they don't.  Shortly after I bought the 28-80,
Tokina discontinued that one too but I don't know why.  I couldn't be
happier with the 28-80.  It has excellent image quality and it's a very
late model design which focuses quietly and very fast.  The 80-200 (I'm
guessing) is probably a 5-10 year old design.  It makes fine images but
is slower and noisier to focus.  Not surprising, I guess, since it's
moving a lot more metal and glass inside.  Even so, it's fast enough.
I've never thought that I've lost a shot because of its focusing speed
and, while the noise is noticeable while holding the camera, it's not
obtrusive.

At the wide end (which I don't use much) I continue to use my OM mount
Tokina 17/3.5 and my Zuiko 24/2.8.  I also use my OM mount Vivitar
90/2.5 macro.  I don't have any IS lenses but, for the most part, I'm
either shooting flash or else on a tripod and a few clicks of the ISO
dial can usually make up the difference.  I've debated buying a Tokina
20-35/2.8 AT-X Pro (All AT-X Pro lenses share a common 77mm filter
size).  It has also been discontinued but is still available from
new/old stocks.  I think it performs well on film but I'm concerned
about how it might perform on a 5D at the wide end and don't know of any
such test.  I could also use some slower, lighter autofocus lenses for
shooting outdoors in good light but don't know what to get.  Maybe
Moose's beloved Tamron 28-300 although that strikes me as just too much
range in one piece of glass.  Possibly a 28-135 with a 100-300/4.
Tokina made an AT-X version with 77mm filter but it's been discontinued
too.  I think Tokina is just fading away or else trying to retool
everything for smaller sensors which is where the volume is.

Yeah, I know, the last two lenses aren't exactly light weights either.

Chuck Norcutt